Thursday, September 9, 2010

Pest Control

Every home in the desert has some sort of problem with bugs. Most people have the bug man come to their home to spray insecticide to kill the bugs. Not us, we use a more natural approach. We leave the front porch light on which attracts all the little bugs. Then the bigger bugs come and eat the smaller bugs, and so on and so forth until you get to the top of the insect (or arachnid) food chain. Here is our form of pest control. We have a tarantula that comes and visits our front porch and gets his fill on all the little bugs.


Unfortunately there is nothing in the picture to give a relative size comparison. If I were to judge, he is slightly smaller than my flat hand. It is the biggest of the tarantulas that I have seen on our front porch over the years. I didn't tell Michelle about him because she made me kill the last one that she saw.

6 comments:

Lhone said...

WHHHAAAATTTT???? You have a freakin' tarantula? You act like its a pet? What's the matter with you...MOVE!!! I'm not even afraid of spiders and now I'll be up all night thinking that some tarantula is eating michelle. Thanks, Brett.

Heather - said...

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Andrea said...

I can't believe that Michelle made you kill one of those, that is disgusting. Just imagine all of the squishing crunch that one would give.

Andrea said...

Although it would make a nice addition to Melissa's bug collection, want to send it our way. Oh, and add some scorpions while you're at it!

Cynthia Hatch said...

Do you check your shoes each morning to make sure their are no tarantulas inside? Do you feel afraid for the kids? Sure makes my skin crawl.

Dean and Cindy Hatch said...

Brett, why didn't you put your left hand next to the bug so we could tell its size while taking the picture with your right. You're right handed, what's the problem?