Monday, March 28, 2011

I've got shingles...

...and not the kind that you put on the roof. You can read about what shingles is on Wikipedia. It is from the same virus family as chicken pox and you can only get it if you have had chicken pox. The two doctors that I saw this morning (primary care and opthomologist) both were surprised that I got it at my age. I guess that it is usually elderly or sickly people who get it. Michelle blames stress in my life. I can't argue with that one. It is really itchy and swollen and I just want to rub my face all the time. But, I am being really good and avoiding touching it. I was using a hot compress on it several times yesterday and that felt good, but the doctor told me this morning that I should use an ice pack. The heat increases circulation and causes the leasions to spread. The good news is that it hasn't spread to my eye. I just need to carefully watch it to make sure that it doesn't. Here are some photos of what I looked like Sunday morning:
And this is what I looked like this morning:



I started to get the red rash on Thursday and so I probably should have gone to the doctor on Friday morning, but I was too stubborn. Plus, I had plans to go to the climbing gym and I didn't want to miss that. (I did end up misssing the gym, but that is a whole different story.)

8 comments:

Heather - said...

Hey Brett Hone, that's awful! And, it's refreshing that you believe youth is a state of mind ;)

In all seriousness, get better, and don't give it to Michelle.

Lhone said...

hey, there is nothing wrong with being a HONE! Welcome to the club of the sick and elderly.

I was hoping you were talking about the roofing supplies, but That is so awful. And, no offense, but you look like an elderly man with your swollen eyes. Get better!!

Heather - said...

Being a Hone IS awesome. You're some of the strongest people I know :)

James Hatch said...

I see no difference.

Dean and Cindy Hatch said...

Hope the people in your ward didn't think Michelle has been punching you. It looks awful! Without sounding like I'm rubbing in the age thing, but Grandma Hales had shingles for a year and a half. It about drove her crazy. Hope your's is short lived.
Cindy

Cynthia Hatch said...

A year and a half!!! Hopefully in your case in will just be 10 to 14 days. My goodness. Are you guys worried about the kids getting chicken pox?

micheleandrandyanderson said...

I feel so bad for you Brett. It looks bothersome, (sorry, but something like shingles needed a strange word to describe it). I think my mom had shingles once and it was not fun for her. I hope you are getting plenty of ice cream or something to take your mind off of the itching!! Feel better soon!

Dean and Cindy Hatch said...

Hey Brett! You are the bishop, for crying out loud. If you want out of some meetings, cancel them. You want to stay home from church, stay home. I can think of a dozen more options than shingles. Haven't they ever told you about keys and inspiration?