We started by going to the pumpkin patch for FHE on Monday night. The kids picked out a big pumpkin that sat on the ground and looked up at passers by. The guy running the place saw us with three kids, a pregnant mom, and only buying one pumpkin. He took pitty on us and sent the kids back out to each pick out a tiny pumpkin. I told him that we were OK and didn't need them (we didn't want to have to carve more than one), but he insisted. So we came home with a big one and three small free ones.
The kids had a parade at the school on Friday morning. We went and watched the kids walk around the school grounds. It was actually a little cool that morning, but not as cold as it was the previous two mornings. Tyler went as Luke Skywalker but the school wouldn't let him have his lightsaber on his belt because it was considered a weapon. Rebecca was the same pumpkin that she was two years earlier.
Later that evening we went to the ward party. The kids got to play with their friends and eat all kinds of junk food.
On Saturday the kids and Michelle carved the pumpkin while I was out playing with some friends. Tyler did a great job at gutting it and everyone took turns carving a part of the face. They opted to do a Mickey Mouse face. It turned out pretty good thanks to mom's help. We won't make any comments on the knife safety.
And to top it all off, they got to go trick-or-treating. There weren't many kids out in our neighborhood this year. In fact, we only had five kids come to our house. While we were out, we only saw two other groups. Most houses told us that we were the first ones that came to their house and so they put a large handful into each kid's pumpkin. It wasn't too long before Meagan was complaining that her pumpkin was too heavy to carry.
6 comments:
I love that Meagan is carving the pumpkin in her snow white dress. Is that how girls are? :)
Meagan has worn the snow white dress everyday for the last week. That is exactly how little girls are.
We weren't being cheap with the pumkins this year. I just knew 3 pumpkins meant I would carve 3 pumpkins. As it turned out, Tyler did most of the gutting of the pumpkin and I pretty much did the rest. Rebecca stepped in for a few minutes and then decided she didn't like it. Meagan wasn't strong enough. So I am grateful I only had to carve 1 this year!
Yeah, we got 3 little pumpkins thinking that would be easier, but then we realized that little pumpkins are HARDER to carve than big pumpkins. If the kids aren't doing it, then how is Blaine going to get his hand in without chopping the pumpkin in half to make a large enough hole? You were smart to get one.
oh, and where's the picture of michelle? we want to see belly.
The other problem with little pumpkins, is fitting a candle inside. I didn't have any tealights, they would have been better. One little side note, I'm glad to hear that you actually have time to go play with your friends. All work and no play gets old.
The pumpkin carving is awesome. Using a pattern is a bit of a cheat, but it works.
Mom
Post a Comment